Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 47: Crabby Quiche...


A couple years ago, a friend of mine gave me a pet crab.  Never having had a crustacean before, I wasn’t sure what to do with it!  I set it down on the floor and looked at it.  It stared back at me with it’s eye stalks twisting and swaying to an unknown rhythm.  I tried to learn it’s body language.  I’ve never met an animal that I couldn’t understand by studying it’s movement.  But this arthropod was much more different that any mammal I’ve had before.  It seemed so alien and strange, I couldn’t for the life of me think of what it was trying to tell me...

...until it jumped...

When it latched it’s small but razor-sharp claws on my face, and tried to dig it’s way to my brain, I knew it had one plan, to kill me.  This was no ordinary crab, it was a crab trained in the deadly art of Ninjitsu.  Yes, my friend had betrayed me by giving me an assassin crab.  He wanted me dead, but I wasn’t about to give in.  After a titanic battle that destroyed many potted plants, furniture and lava lamps, I killed the bastard by impaling it with my Canadian flag.

Rather than leave the corpse to rot in a garbage can, I did what any self-respecting cook would do, I made Quiche.

In all seriousness, I want to point out that a big part of why I make so many recipes, is that I get bored of eating the same thing over and over again.  This recipe however, is so good, it is one of the few that I come back to over and over again.  It’s suitable for breakfast or dinner, and I tend to make them in batches of two.  One package of fake crab meat comes with 8 sticks, and the recipe calls for 4, so I double to use everything.

No comments: