Monday, August 02, 2010

Day 32: Chili Corn Cakes...

Ten years ago I took a job down south. It wasn’t the kind of thing I usually do, but I was desperate for the cash, and I figured it would be easy bringing in the bounty on one Hugo “Brickface” MaCain. I followed him from Colorado Springs on horseback, thinking I’d find him pretty quickly, nab him and be on my way. They guy was notoriously large, and not a good rider. Neither was I for that matter, but a whole lot better than him.

Clearly I hadn’t expected how determined Brickface was at not getting caught. He ditched his horse not long after he figured I was on to him, and he jumped a train. I managed to keep up, but in the end we scrambled after each other through the New Mexico desert. I still remember bouncing all over the burning mesa like water in burning oil. I nearly lost my life on that job, but luckily what kept me going were these little corn cakes I stocked up on in Santa Fe. They keep for a surprisingly long time, not to mention tasty, and they keep you going.

No comments: