Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 76: Mocha Coconut Milk Ice Cream...


With the holiday season at hand, there will be many gatherings at which we will be called upon to bring something tasty to satisfy and placate the dark god Cthulhu.  The best way to keep that shuddering wet mass from emerging from the pits of dreaded R’Iyeh is to never make the same thing twice.

Now I have friends who are vegan, so when there is a big gathering, in true Canadian fashion, I try not to let the majority oppress the minority, so I lean towards the vegan friendly if I can.  Which brings me to my point.

I have an ice cream maker, but so far I have not found a decent substitute for dairy.  You can make ice cream with soy milk or rice milk or almond milk, but if you try to place that before the altar to the Necronomicon, you will see the door between the two worlds break open, unleashing an army of the old ones led by an enraged Cthulhu himself.  Yes it’s just not good enough.  The fat content of whipping cream is what gives ice cream it’s smooth texture, and the non-dairy replacements just don’t have it.

So then I thought of coconut milk.  Why not?  It’s pretty fatty, isn’t it?  So I cracked open a can and came up with this.

Enjoy...

No comments: