Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Day 23: Parsley Salad with Couscous...

Smothered by the weight of the humidity, you dare not open your eyes in fear that your home has filled with porridge. You think you can imagine what it must be like to be 100 years old as your damp clothes hang off your body like skin. The rumbling in your belly grows from avoiding dinner, because the thought of turning on the oven, or stove, would be the final alien heat ray that would burn the world to a cinder...

Yes it’s another scorcher, and in honour of this, I am posting another recipe that DOES NOT call for cooking. It’s all chopping and mixing. The only thing that might require heat, is the couscous. I used Israeli Couscous, which looks like a bag of small peas, rather than the usual kind. I found it mixed better and had a greater presence in the dish, but it took a lot longer to prepare. I let it steep in hot water while I chopped, but ended up having to simmer it for 5 minutes before it was done. So unless you have half an hour to let it soak (if you want to avoid boiling), I would suggest getting the regular kind, because it’s faster.

Enjoy!

No comments: