Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Stir-Fry Fever...

Since I have, as of late, been making a lot of stir-fried food, I thought I should say a few words about this style of cooking. First and foremost, you may have noticed the similarities between all the recipes I’ve posted so far.

Most asian stir fried food consists of a protein in a marinade, some aromatics, vegetables, sauce and maybe some seasoning and a garnish. By understanding this, you can mix things up and create great stir-fries as long as you stick to these four or five groups.

Always start with frying the aromatics in very hot oil, which can be any combination, or all, of garlic, chilies, ginger, onions or green onions.

Then before the aromatics burns, add the marinated protein (can be beef, chicken, pork, shellfish, tofu or soybeans).

Next up comes the veggies and then the sauce. What’s in it is up to you.

When ready to serve, it’s customary to garnish with sliced green onion or cilantro or both.

That’s pretty much it. Now that my secret is out, you’ll find that most of the recipes I post follow these same steps and procedures. If you get familiar with what combinations work best, you can make any number of stir-fry’s in any number of ways.

Knock yourself out...

1 comment:

Rice Palette said...

Hi Keith, nice to know another fellow Ottawa food-blogger! :0)

Great write-up. I agree with your post. When you break it down like that, it made me realize that most of my stir-fries do follow those steps, even though I'm not aware of it.

Great blog!