Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 86: Caramel Pineapple Ice Cream...


I’m all about enhancing flavour.  Having spent years learning to cook, I’ve learned a few tricks that help enhance the flavour of a dish, and my favourite is caramelization.  You don’t get that kind of flavour from poaching or boiling - Dry heat and frying generate infinitely more taste out of food, and that’s why I stick to it.

So a while back, when I got round to making ice cream, I got the idea, “Why don’t I caramelize the sugar before adding it to the cream?  I mean, I need to heat it anyway to dissolve the sugar!”  So this thought led me to making this a regular habit, when making ice cream.  White sugar is so one dimensional and screams like an angry cave-man, “SWEET!!!!.”  I like more complex flavours, and caramelization delivers that.

So last week I had a party to go, and I had a pineapple sitting around feeling neglected.  It looked at me saying, “Hey, baby.  You better eat me, or I’ll go bad!”  I had already decided I wanted to bring ice cream, so it was a no brainer that I was going to make a pineapple ice cream - and that I was going to caramelize the sugar.

Enjoy...

No comments: