Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 84: Orange Shortbread...


I had a New Years Eve party to go to, and having been on a stir-fry kick for so long (and it being the holidays), I thought I’d make up a cookie recipe.  I’ve made everything else, but lately I’ve been lacking deserts.

Without further ado, I started with a shortbread recipe, and then stamped my own groove onto it.  Most of my recipes are dead easy, but this one’s a bit more complicated than usual.  But don’t let that stop you from trying it.  I’ve made many mistakes in creating it, and thankfully it’s a resilient enough recipe that you can make mistakes every step of the way, and there’s always a way to undo it without ruining the thing.

The complication arrises from the use of an orange syrup you need to make.  If it’s too hot, it’ll burn the butter.  If it’s too cold, it won’t mix with the butter.  It’s easy to avoid the first mistake, because as long as the sugar syrup isn’t boiling, it won’t be hot enough to burn anything.  If it’s too cold to mix in (which I’ve done), don’t worry, you can scrape out  the syrup, butter and all, and melt it in a pot, and return it to the bowl to mix.

This is a delectable cookie that melts in your mouth, and is much softer than what you’d expect from a shortbread cookie.

Naughty cookie cutters are optional.

Enjoy...

No comments: