Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 68: Dinner in a Pot...


I was caught in the middle of a firefight between militant wings of the Scientologist and Hari Krishna movements.  There were bullets flying everywhere, as the two enemies battled over control of the Ottawa International Airport lobby.  I was pinned down behind a ticket kiosk, hoping that the mound of plastic and metal would be enough to stop the high velocity 5.56mm bullets screaming past.  I knew I didn’t want to wait until I took a bullet to find out if I was safe, I did something I probably shouldn’t - I ran for it.

Spotting a nearby doorway, I picked myself up off the floor and ran.  I knew I could get there quickly, being a pretty fast runner, but once I got going, I suddenly had an idea what it was like to run across the 417 in traffic.  Only these bullets were much smaller, more numerous, and a lot, lot faster than cars.  It took everything I had to keep me from freezing in place as I felt the burning wind of SS109’s graze my flesh.

Reaching the door, my hand thrust out, hoping it wasn’t locked.  It wasn’t.  I bolted in, closed the door behind me, and locked it.  Once my breathing normalized I realized I was in a kitchen.  Since it was 5:45, and I was starting to get hungry.  I took a look around at what was available, and threw this meal together.

No comments: