Sunday, February 04, 2007

DINNER IN 8 MINUTES...

Okay, you’ve just got home from work, and you are not only really tired, but also very hungry. We’ve all been there, and I have here a recipe for a dinner that only takes 8 minutes to make, including preparation and cooking time. The only problem with the recipe is that it isn’t good for dieters, because it includes a Ramen Noodle package.

On the plus side, it’s incredibly fast, and very cheap.

What do you need?

1 Ramen Noodle Package (I usually go with the Shrimp flavour. ‘Cause it goes with the Shrimp or seafood I put into it.)

1/4 cup of frozen Shrimp, fake Crab meat, or firm Tofu

1/2 Green Onion, chopped

1/2 cup of Snow Peas, or maybe Napa Cabbage, or Carrots (chopped finely). You can use any vegetable you like, really. This is a very forgiving recipe.

1 very small saucepot. You want one that is so small that the bundle of noodles barely fit in it. If the corners of the noodles get crunched a bit trying to get it in, you have the right size.


How do you make it?

1 Start by filling the saucepot with 1 full cup of water, and place it on the stove element on the highest heat your stove has.

2 While the water is heating, cut off the stem ends of the Snow Peas, or chop up whatever vegetables you are using. Also chop up the Green Onion.

3 You don’t need to do anything with the Shrimp, but if you are using Crab meat or Tofu, chop that up as well.

4 By the time all the chopping is done, the water is usually boiling by now.

5 Once the water begins to boil. Add the whole flavour package and stir to combine, but do this quickly! With every second you are losing water! Then add the Ramen Noodle bundle, and set your timer for 3 minutes (or whatever recommended cooking time is written on the noodle packaging).

6 As soon as the noodles are in the pot dump your Shrimp, Crab, or Tofu in and then pour the vegetables over top of that. Keep the pot boiling on the highest heat your stove top can muster, and let it sit for 3 minutes!

7 Once the cooking time is over, just turn the pot over into a big bowl and sprinkle some fresh cracked pepper (or regular if that’s all you have), and the Green Onion. Adding a dash of Sesame Oil if you have any is good too.

I hope you try this out and enjoy it. Not many dinners can be made in the time it takes for water to boil (plus 3 minutes)

Tips:

Do you balk at the thought of cooking with Shrimp! You say, “Shrimp is too expensive?” Believe me I agree. So what I do is get the frozen Salad Shrimp when it’s on sale. One small bag of the stuff will make plenty of this. Still too expensive? Try Giant Tiger; they sell Shrimp rings for $3 to $4. The only problem is that you have to take the tails off, or not if you don’t mind taking them off in you bowl. That can work just as well, and it’s less time consuming.

6 comments:

Suzanne Marsden said...

Thanks for the great recipe Keith; another winner :-) I like the Ichiban noodles, when I do have them. I'll save this one up for an early week dinner so I can enjoy it. I think Clay & I actually have a shrimp ring in the freezer somewhere..must go mining ;-)

Thanks for having us out Fri. night dude; home-made bread and bbq'd meat.. cucumbers.. flaming banana ice cream thingies & RPGing! YAY :-D
hugs
Suzanne.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh, no pictures! I like pictures. Could you do this with leftover cooked chicken and chicken noodles?

Keep the recipes coming. I really like them. Quick and easy is good.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should write a cook book?

Or can I call you the swedish chef?

Keith Savage said...

Glad you like the recipe, Ladies.

eifriger- Good to have you out. I knew the Bananas Foster would go over well. It tastes good and is quite the performance piece to make.

Jilly- You certainly can use chicken and chicken flavoured noodles if you want. This is merely a METHOD of cooking. The ingredients can be anything that can be conceivably steam-cooked in 3 minutes. Though unless you can find a chicken flavoured noodle pack that tastes good, I would stay away from the chicken noodles. In my experience, the chicken flavoured ones tend to taste much too chemically and gross. I would use the Pork noodles because they have a rather neutral tone that works with the chicken. I know because that is what I did for lunch yesterday. I also didn't have any snow peas so I used mushrooms and thinly sliced carrot!

Lesle- I guess I could do a book at some point. I am amassing a rather large collection of recipes that I have created, but without any formal training in culinary school I would have to be famous or something that would give the book more bank-ability. In the meanwhile,

BORK, BORK!!

Anonymous said...

KEITH!

Sorry, this is soooo late (I suppose I have two little reasons for my tardiness), but CONGRATULATIONS on finishing your book! I know how satisfying that massive stack of pages can feel! It's a wonderful accomplishment! I've got mine on my living room book shelf in the 'Canadian Literature' section.

We're looking forward to visiting with you in May.

Carol

Traci said...

You're awesome, Keith. Going to try this one asap.

What channel is the Food Network? We mysteriously have cable without having ordered it. Must be leftover from the previous tenant. The problem with cable is that if I have it, I'll watch it. lol