Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO STAPLES


Well as you may have guessed by the photo above, I am done. Yes. I am done. Three very simple words that sum up an awful lot of work.

I finished the first draft of the book at around 12:30 in the morning Sunday night, backed up three copies of it, and then spent the next hour and a half trying to calm down enough to go to sleep. I have been very quiet about the book’s plot, but I think, for those that know me, it’s a safe bet to assume that the story is a big adventure story, because it is. Now in order to write anything that is remotely interesting, I had to believe I was there, and the closer I got to the end of the book, the more intense it became to write. So, for me, it was the most intense writing experience I have ever had. It was visceral, fun, but very tiring. In fact I have been pretty consistent at writing about 10 pages a day for three or four days a week, since August. The most I had written in one day was 15 pages. On Sunday I wrote 30 pages. I don’t know what came over me, or how I was able to do it, but that’s how my Sunday went.

When I finished the book, it came in at a whopping 482 pages and 183 202 words. I didn’t realize that it would take that much to say what I had to say. I had an even bigger surprise on Monday morning when I headed off to Staples to print the thing off. They didn’t have the font I used, so the 12 point font it was printed on was apparently significantly larger than the 12 point font I wrote it in. So it printed out 576 pages!!!! There’s a lesson for all of us! Not all fonts are the same, even if you use the same points in the font!

I obviously now have no idea how many pages my book is. I will have to do more research and find a standard print font that even Staples has, and reformat it all. But that is what the second draft is for.

I think the problem I am going to have is that most people are going to take a look a 500+ page book and assume that the story meanders, and that I couldn’t be more efficient with the writing. That isn’t the case. The story is quite action packed. I have no patience with self-indulgence, so I don’t waste time with my plot.

So now the plan is to get plenty of rest, and then wait a month or two before re-writing the book. I plan to take the next year to sculpt the book into something that I feel comfortable sending out to publishers and agents. At least now I have something. I can actually say I wrote a book, though it will mean more if I get published.

7 comments:

Rob A. said...

There are loads of books published out there that have more than 500 pages and they have a huge readership. If you feel confident that is move along it will be that much easier to convince a publisher!
Great job.!

Suzanne Marsden said...

Wow! There's nothing more solid than 500+ pages of book in your hand. I'm am simply delighted at the picture you posted and the happy news you shared. Again, I can't say it enough: Congratulations Keith! I am looking forward to seeing how you handle the next steps on the voyage to publication! (And getting a chance to read the e-version of your proto-masterpiece sometime soon!) hugs & all best, Sue & Clay.

Keith Savage said...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. Every now and then I look over and see the thing. You really have to see it in person because I find the picture doesn't do it justice. I feels more like a friggin' phone book!!

michael valiquette said...

Wow.
My head is getting cold.
Cuz I had to take my hat off.
To you.
Awesome Keith.

Keith Savage said...

Thanks a lot Mike!

It really was nothing. All I did was type "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" eighteen thousand times.

Which reminds me, where's my axe...

Anonymous said...

Keith Congratulations! It looks so impressive. That's a lot of typing, but thank god for computers and keyboards because if you had to do it free hand..JESUS!! I have a cramp in my hand just thinking about it!
Again well done. I'm still trying to figure out what you've been up too and will need a whole weekend to read your blog to get to it. Damn my curling..it won't be this weekend unfortunately. Anyway..all the best buddy! Lesle :) Hi Rob, Hi Mike, Hi Sue!!

Anonymous said...

Yippee! Nice to see that you are back. I kept checking and got scared every time I saw that scary picture of Janet Leigh. Much better picture this time! Glad to hear that you are finally done your book. Need any test readers?